Pages

Monday 20 February 2017

Thoughtful Christmas Gift

My sister gave me this very thoughtful Christmas gift and I thought I'd share it.

This necklace is from Leigh Luna Jewelry and I love it!  They do some beautiful work over there as well as some custom designs.  This one has the names John, Alex and Gideon on it in braille.  Well... reverse braille?  They punch the dots instead of emboss them.  I'm head over heels and not ashamed to admit that I teared up a bit when I opened the gift.  




Since having Gideon come into our lives, I feel like my identity has been expanded as an advocate for children with special needs and for families with children who have complex care needs.  I have this desire to be strong and to let my voice be heard... but I also feel burnt out and tired.  I know that wearing this jewelry is not the same as burning down the gates of the Parliament,  but for me this necklace is both beautiful and symbolic.  It's a small way of feeling like I am letting other know that there is diversity in our families and if a stranger asks me about it, I'll gladly get on my soapbox.  

How are you advocating for the under acknowledged in your life?   


No comments:

Post a Comment