Pages

Wednesday 9 March 2016

Little Bird is Learning to Eat

Last night, during my daily attempt to feeds Gideon solids, he opened his mouth for me and ate off his spoon!

You have no idea how long I've been waiting for this!

At meal time, Gideon usually will deal out a number of avoidance techniques: he will clamp his mouth shut, push away the spoon, tilt his head back or shake his head no.  I place a little puree on his lips and am lucky if he licks it off.  Confession - Occasionally I revert to dumping.  Meal time has been primarily "food experience time".  This has been going on for over a year.  You have no idea how difficult it has been to stay personally positive, make his meal times positive and to continue this seemingly futile pursuit.     

I have been trying to model eating recently by using a big silver spoon and feeding myself large mouthfuls in front of him.  Literally right in front of his face.  Last night he had the biggest smiles, he was almost laughing at me, as I dished large spoonfuls of curry into my gaping mouth, smacked my lips and announced how good it was with a loud "Mmmmmmmm".  To my surprise, when it was his turn, he actually opened his mouth like a little baby bird. He opened his mouth for me over and over again.  Sometimes he would stick his tongue out for me to dab a little puree onto it.  For one bite, he actually reached for my hand with the spoon and brought it towards his mouth!   I was actually feeding him and he was actually welcoming the food into his mouth.   

I am seriously ecstatic. I pray that this is a break through for us!    


No comments:

Post a Comment