Pages

Tuesday 26 May 2015

I'll take Potent Playtime Potables for $1000, Alex

I've noticed that having a child with visual and hearing impairments along with gross motor motor delays can make playtime difficult. Gideon is almost 9 months old but he can't sit up on his own or crawl.  He is starting to roll and occasionally will get stuck on his tummy like a turtle on his back.   This means that he doesn't have the upper strength for swings, jolly jumpers and exersaucers.  He does a lot of his play on the floor.

For Gideon, I've had to find/make a variety of textual treasures.  I thought I'd share some of the toys he is most interested in right now.

Lights:



RED ROPE LIGHTS- Gideon has really been enjoying a set of red rope lights.  Red is a really easy colour for people with visual impairments to see plus they can be mouthed because a) he has no teeth and b) they do not heat up.




SPINNING LED LIGHT WAND-  This little light is a such a motivator for head movement.  As soon as he sees it, he is engaged and will follow it wherever it goes.  It also vibrates slightly which is a bonus.  I think I picked it up at Walmart but you could probably find one at a dollar store.  





Vibrators:



LEARNING CURVE BUZZING BEE- This is a chew toy that will vibrate when bitten.  It gives a very gentle vibration and massages the gums.  The loops are just large enough for handling and make it easy to grip onto and manipulate.




O BALL WOBBLE BOBBLE - This has got to be the very favorite right now.  This ball vibrates when touched.  The "switch" is very easy to activate and the vibration is so intense that you can feel it across the room.  The "on time" is just right too; Not too long and not to short for feedback.  Gideon just loves it!  It's also super funny to watch him shake.


Handheld:
Button sewed onto a shiny gift wrap bow

Maracas- cha cha cha
Small strainer that is light and easy to manipulate
Gideon enjoys exploring a variety of small handheld toys.  The small toys seem to be easier to manipulate and understand. He seems to prefer the harder items and tends to shy away from soft things like stuffed animals.

OTHER:
Of course I couldn't leave out how much he likes it (on most days LOL) when I kiss and tickle him.  I can't say enough how happy I am that he will tolerate me and actually smile and laugh on occasion when I interact with him.  These moments are priceless.


No comments:

Post a Comment